Income Protection Claims

We are income protection lawyers who act for individuals and never for the insurance company. Our team has worked in income protection claims for over 15 years. Our income protection lawyers can assist you across Australia.


Income Protection Claims

Income protection payments are usually monthly benefits paid to you if you can’t do your normal job because of injury or illness.

Sometimes called ‘salary continuance’ or "temporary disability" benefits, they are designed to give you income support until you get better and are able to return to work.

What benefits are paid if you’re on income protection?

Income protection benefits can be a fixed amount of up to 75% of your salary, perhaps also with a superannuation contribution, paid to your super fund.

To qualify for total disability benefits, you have to be off work for the waiting period (30, 60 or 90 days) and unfit to do at least one of the duties of your normal job or maybe all of the duties; it depends on the wording of your specific policy.

If you return to work part-time, you may be eligible for partial disability payments.

Benefits can be paid for two years, five years or maybe even up to age 65 or 70.


The payments are usually offset against any worker's compensation, motor vehicle injury or Centrelink weekly payments you receive. Lump sum payments of compensation may also suspend income protection payments for a period of time.

How do I make a claim for income protection?

There will be claim forms for you, your doctor, and your employer (if any) to fill in, plus authorities to complete.

The insurer might request medical reports and financial documents or arrange a medico-legal examination.

Once you’ve lodged your claim, the decision will usually take 3 to 4 months, although this can vary.

Can I appeal a rejection of my claim?

If your claim is rejected or if you are mucked around, you can lodge a complaint.

Help from an income protection lawyer?

It’s important to get help with a claim or complaint.

Berrill and Watson specialise in what we do. Unlike other plaintiff law firms who work across many areas, we only do superannuation, insurance and financial advice claims and disputes.

Contact us for FREE advice and help with your income protection claim. It costs you nothing to find out where you stand.


Melbourne: 03 9448 8048

Brisbane: 07 3013 4300

Anywhere else in Australia:  03 9448 8048


[email protected]

How we charge

We are Australia's best value superannuation/insurance law firm. Other law firms charge nearly double (& sometimes more than double) what we charge. So, if you get a quote from them, or have a cost agreement, ask us what we will charge you.

Want to know more about income protection claims? Visit our blog.

What is income protection insurance and why is it important?

Can I claim on my income protection if I am only partially incapacitated?

How much will my monthly income protection benefit be?

How do income protection waiting periods work?

What's the difference between income protection and TPD insurance?

TPD and income protection for people with a chronic illness

When am I owed interest on my TPD or income protection benefit?

Get in touch

  [email protected]

or fill out the form below...